Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My First Extreme SNOW Experience

(As a tribute to Japan being my second home, my first entry will be about one of my trips in Japan)


Hailing from  a tropical country like the Philippines where the average temperature is above 20ºC, experiencing snow in Hokkaido for the first time is like heaven. Finally,  my childhood imagination from what I've seen on movies & television about the "White Christmas" thing CAME true. Really, Dreams do come true. 

HOKKAIDO is the second biggest island among the 4 main islands of Japan. It is located in the northernmost part and famous for its extreme coldness. 

This trip was organized by my japanese language school. It is one of the school's program encouraging students to join an affordable group tour within Japan (though not compulsory)  to orient and expose us with different japanese cultures & traditions. This also enable us to mingle  and commune with the locals. Indeed, a good venue to  practice our japanese language skills. I grabbed the opportunity to be part of the trip to avail the lower package tour as traveling within japan will cost you more than the cost when traveling to the neighboring countries like Korea or China. 
 memorize the plate # of your bus as there are similar buses

While our bus was moving on to our first destination,  I felt the child in me, the excitement was overflowing when I saw that almost everything was covered by  SNOW. I saw homeowners were trying to remove snow piles from their roofs to prevent from collapsing.  It made me realized how hard it is to be living in a place like Hokkaido during winter season and my compassion goes out to the people who we're trying to survive there. But I SALUTE  the locals that in spite of the situation, they were still able to find ways to go on with their lives. 

INDEED, each one of us has battles in life to deal with no matter how other people think how great our life is..

They built greenhouses  to plant some crops even during winter season

As the sun was setting down, the temperature became more unbearable reaching in as low as -20ºC, but it didn't hinder us from doing the things that we must see and enjoy. 

schoolmates were enjoying this 

I super enjoyed this banana boat sledding in the "iced" lake

Another "must see" during this trip was the spectacular fireworks display.. it's not as big as the summer fireworks display in Tokyo but still you will be awed with how beautiful it is...


How I just wish I can eat fish. (I don't eat fish since childhood) The foods served to us looks so yummy and my friends said it really was, fresh fish & seafoods, veggies and ohh, the presentation..


Included in our itinerary was to visit one of the most famous, most visited Zoo in Japan, the ASAHIYAMA ZOO. Here, you will enjoy watching different kinds of animal and shows. 


I've seen different penguin shows but this one  impressed me much... the PENGUIN PARADE. It was just so amazing how these little creatures knew how to follow their leader.. 


NEVER miss this.. "CRUISING the sea of snow" when you'll have the chance to visit Hokkaido. It is in ABASHIRI area. 


While we started sailing, these creatures entertained us, flying with us and some even "boarded" on our boat.




This area in ABASHIRI is near RUSSIA. The mountain from afar is already part of RUSSIA.




Hubby always tell me than when you travel, always maximize your time... For you to see more places, you should WAKE UP EARLY and GO BACK to your hotel LATE...

Morning view ---- Guess what it is guys... IT's actually a lake that turned to "ICE"... People were camping there and made a small hole to catch fish..


At night - you will see these "lighted snow houses".. displayed inside are bottles of wine


Of all the beautiful places I've seen during this trip, THIS one's my FAVORITE in SOUNKYOU area.  Illuminated and Beautifully made ice statues!  Just make sure you are fully geared from gloves, bonnets to ear muffs as its really really freezing...


This is actually a lake transformed into a beautiful snow/ice sculpture


Your's Truly enjoying the beautiful view





This is called GIN GA NO TAKI (Milky way falls) in Daisetsuzan National Park

My Personal thought : Never leave a place without buying any souvenirs that you can see and look back in the future. Aside from you're able to help the locales, a simple thing will bring back all those precious memories..



my schoolmates & teacher

Till my next post.. 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful Ging. I love the photos. Your post is very informative. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ate Ga. I hope this blog can somehow help others plan out their Hokkaido trip.

      Delete
  2. Gracious,I enjoyed reading your blog It's well put together. I love the photos especially the " marching penguins" - very cute! The place look so nice and the food looks delicious ( i wanna try them). I wish I was there with you and I hope I can go to Hokkaido someday and experience the fun. Looking forward to your next blog! Im so loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you finally left a comment, hahahaha... Thank you really for being so supportive in whatever I do. I hope to entertain you here one of these days.. I will be very happy to show you around... I'll let you eat different kinds of sushi.. eat all you can! hehehe...

      Delete
  3. ateee you are such an amazing grace;-) now i can avail a cheaper tour via your blogspot hehe thank you for sharing this with us.. Hmmm how bout putting up a graceful travel and tour biznis hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha... and you are such a great motivator and I thank you for that.. i hope to see yours soon too...

      Delete
    2. The great wall of SwitzerlandMarch 7, 2013 at 2:39 AM

      Still havent read anything yet ^_^ but later aligator!! .. Come visit me soonest with your snub bestfriend from Cali ^_^

      Delete
    3. Paklayyyyyyy.... you have to read my blog as a support, hahaha... Yes we will visit you one day.. so from now on start saving because we will let you all spend for us, hahahaha... Seriously, we are planning to visit you.. bring us to Milan also to see your lovey dovey...

      Delete
  4. Very nice Te Grace, I love it.I hope you will continue doing this adventure of yours and still looking young and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you wends :-) its the best time to travel while still young and able :-)

      Delete
  5. nice gra! enjoyed reading..

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice mam grace, very informative... i always dream to travel abroad but pang pinas ra jud ang budget... :) i'l follow your blog para mura naka travel na pod ko... hehehe! but who knows one day, someday... :) jot

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you jot for visiting my site :-)
    dreams do come true jot, so im looking forward for that dat that you will visit me here :-)

    ReplyDelete