Tuesday, March 12, 2013

3/11 (Remembering the Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami)


Powerful TOHOKU Earthquake and Tsunami
March 11, 2011
2:46pm (Japan Time)


(not my photo, took it from the internet) 
It's been 2 years since that devastating earthquake/tsunami rattled Japan and temporarily cut off the transportations & communications for how many hours but memories of that sad day is still so fresh and I think it will always be on my mind for the rest of my life.


It was Friday, a normal day for all of us. I was in school for my japanese language lesson listening to my teacher when the building was slowly swaying. Thinking that it was just a "normal" quake, (i said normal because I think a day will not pass without an earthquake here) our teacher continued her lesson until the slow became stronger and stronger. My classmates and I and the rest of the students occupying the 3rd floor went to the ground floor as quickly as we can though we had a hard time moving as it was really shaking so hard. We wanted to move out of the building but our teachers did not allow us, as it's more dangerous outside for possible falling debris (broken glasses or others)



It was a relief when it subsided but just when we're thankful it was over and ready to continue with our lesson, another one occurred and that really made me cry so hard. Some classmates and teachers tried to comfort me, telling me it was just an aftershock but to their surprise, it was not, it's much stronger and longer than the first one. 



On that moment I thought it was going to be my end. I can't help but cry.. thinking I'm alone, without a family as hubby was on a business trip. I have no one to run to except GOD and can do nothing but just keep on praying. It was like waiting for the last hour, waiting for the building to collapse and bury me alive. 



I realized that no matter how you think you're "READY TO DIE", you will always feel that fear and will always bargain and ask for God's mercy to spare you and give you another chance to live. In a situation that seems so hopeless, I remembered talking to God to protect me and hubby but if it's really my time to go, I prayed to him to forgive all my shortcomings and that He may accept me in His kingdom. I also prayed that in case something really will happen, that my body will be found and be brought back to the Philippines. (I guess, its everybody's wish) 



actual rescue operation shown on TV
Hearing the news how devastated Tohoku was, I kept on calling, texting hubby but failed. Luckily, 3G's connection was up. Through YM, I was able to inform my sister in the Philippines where I was and that I'm safe. I had to ask Jinggay of Sumifru Philippines Office to call any of the Filipinos in Japan who are with hubby that time but sadly, she can't contact anyone too. Finally, around 11pm, I got a call from hubby. I was already in my friend's house near our school for temporary shelter as there's no train operating and I don't know the way if I'll walk going home. (Special thanks to JOANNIE OHISHI and her husband for adopting me that night. I'm so blessed to have great friends around. If not because of their hospitality, I'll be starving as "ready to eat" foods in stores are all sold out and restaurants are closed) 


empty shelves

We're sleepless the entire night. Aftershocks never stop. It's like torturing us to death. 

this little creature became my bestfriend that night
(photo by Joannie while I was trying to sleep)

This Video is one of my favorite footage.. They are just dogs but the lesson about loyalty, friendship, caring is really amazing. If these dogs knew how to be loyal, how to care, how to be there for someone in need, why we, human sometimes fail to do so? I hope we can learn from them :-)




Earthquake being just an ordinary thing in Japan, it's always a must to have a bag filled with ready to eat foods.. just in case 



Rehabilitation is still on going. Government really did their best in helping the affected people to somehow live a normal life. (I pray that the Philippine government can also do the same to typhoon pablo victims)  

Prayer for those souls whose bodies are still not found. 


My 3/11 experience made me appreciate life even more and  never to doubt God, but to trust HIM fully. He will never ever abandon us. 
It also made me admire more the Japanese people for their inspiring traits such as.

-- CALMNESS (devastated as it was but they were still calm in handling the situations.

-- DISCIPLINE / ORDER (during and after the quake no one took advantage of the situation, no looting or whatever. )

-- HONESTY (everyone is needy but when they found something even money they gave it to authorities)

-- COMPASSION (everyone took their share on how to help each other.. a simple example was: do not hoard, buy only what you need, consider others who have nothing)

-- PATRIOTISM ( you can really feel how much they love their country and that society is always the priority even if it means risk for volunteers/workers)

-- HIGH REGARD FOR DIGNITY - everyone's hungry, thirsty, tired, chilling but everyone waited for their turn, queuing without complains, no stampede at all

I wish the world can learn from them. Their dispositions is worth emulating for. Indeed, HUMANITY IS A CHOICE. There will always time in our lives wherein situation will be hard to handle but we always have a choice on how to deal with it. 

7 comments:

  1. It was devastating and I am still sad about it... Good thing is -you are safe and healthy... And making nice blogs...hehehehe nice one again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pssst, i called you through viber :-)
      i'm happy you're reading my posts... si paklay na lang jud ang wala :-(

      Delete
  2. Ging I will share with you verse in Psalm.. chapter 118:17.. I shall not die but live to declare the works of the Lord. You know if our purpose here on earth is not yet fulfilled God would not take us. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you ate ga for this food for thought.. i hope i can fulfill His plans for me

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi grace, tears rolled down while reading ur blogs. thanks for sharing. devastating story yet so many values to learn. thanks God, the providence. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the
    images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

    Here is my blog; Air Max Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete