Friday, March 15, 2013

Living the Dream (Seeing the Pope & the Vatican)

I never lost my dreams. I keep my faith. I believe that DREAMS do come true.
I grew up seeing my father serving the Catholic Church as a "Kaabag" or lay minister. I even thought we owned the chapel in our barangay (village) because I always saw him doing almost everything from maintenance of the church to presiding the KSP or "Kasaulugan sa Pulong" (Liturgy of the Word) and somehow at such a young age, that made me more familiar with the hierarchy of the church, (familiar with just the terms) from Pope, Cardinals, Bishops and Priests and that the Pope being the highest. 

As a child, I have no idea of what the pope does for the church & its people but I knew him through pictures and I always heard their names being mentioned during the mass together with the bishop's & parish priest's. I've been wondering where the pope was since I haven't seen him attending any special celebrations in our town unlike the bishop who's always around during fiestas or catholic school graduations and so I kept on asking WHY he's never around even once. My parents told me that the pope can't come because he is in Vatican City and it's very very far. Since then, I said I want to go to Vatican to see the pope.

                         I think that's the beauty of childhood, we can dream without limits. :-)

When I was in high school, the World Youth Day was held in Manila. I was hoping to be one of the delegates but only few (I think 5) were sent. I envied my 2 classmates who were chosen then. I was so disappointed as I missed the chance of seeing the pope. But I said to myself, one day I'll still see the pope.
View from the top of St Peter's Church known as THE CUPOLA -- you can see the St Peters Square and the city of Rome

In 2010, that childhood dream became a reality when my husband & I spent our annual holiday in Rome. It was really a trip to remember.
At St. Peter's Square 
THE VATICAN MUSEUM, SISTINE CHAPEL and ST. PETER's Basilica
(TIP: To have a smooth tour and to save time, I suggest you buy tickets online prior your trip. )

Line for purchasing the entrance ticket alone will take you hours and we're just lucky we bought ours online. When buying online, carefully decide what you want to see in your tour as you can't modify it anymore once you're in Vatican. They will not allow add-ons as slots are limited for guided tours.. BUT you can do the tour by yourself. I just love the guided tour because you have fast access plus detailed informations of every areas. (You can check Vatican website for the tour packages)

Some of what you can see in Vatican Museum:
 -- THE ART GALLERY (here you will see around 460 paintings including those from the works of famous artists such as from Giotto, Beato Angelico, Melozzo da Forlì, Perugino, Raphael, Leonardo, Tiziano, Veronese, Caravaggio and Crespi.

a famous painting by Raphael

-- TAPESTRIES  (The tapestries describe the acts of St. Peter and St Paul. This is the well ventilated room in Vatican museum due to its sensitivities) 


 -- BEAUTIFUL CEILINGS (you will really be amazed with all these things around the museum)

-- ANTIQUES (around 1000 items here are displayed --- before I went there, i researched a little just to have a background so I can appreciate it more.)



I learned that the reason why almost all of the sculptures are naked because sculptors want to relay a message that we can't hide anything in the eyes of GOD. 




-- THE CARRIAGE PAVILION (In this section you will see the carriages / cars used by the popes)



SISTINE CHAPEL - I was so sentimental when I entered this room, I don't know why or maybe because... finally, I experience the things that I learned in school. I can't imagine how Michelangelo did all those magnificent works. (BTW, it's not allowed to take photos here, it was a stolen one)


GARDENS

ST PETER BASILICA's ALTAR (I took this on our way to the cupola)


St. PETER's CRYPT (It is located in the underground of St. Peter's Basilica. around 148 popes are buried here including Pope John Paul II.


The grave of POPE JOHN PAUL II


At my back is the famous PIETA


During Summer, the Pope is usually in the Papal's summer Residence in CASTEL GANDOLFO, ITALY so make sure to check Vatican's website if you want to be part of the GENERAL AUDIENCE for the POPE's WEDNESDAY APPEARANCE.

Papal's residence is overlooking this beautiful lake
You should be early so you can go inside the hall. The area is small and only limited numbers can be accommodated. 

After almost 5hrs of waiting, POPE BENEDICT XVI finally came out and blessed the people. FINALLY, I SAW THE POPE.

One dream came true!


I am a HAPPY DREAMER here after seeing and being blessed by the Pope. I thank God for all the graces, for granting my childhood dream, for the graceful life and travels :-) 


Go for your dreams guys. :-) 

3 comments:

  1. nice gra! ama isab ng ikw guide ko..hehhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace, these are great images and reminiscences of your childhood experience of the Church with your father as the "kaabag." How I wish I could visit the Vatican one day. :)

    ReplyDelete